Thursday, November 24, 2005

A Message From Dennis Hastert

House Happenings for This Week
posted by Denny Hastert @ 9:41am (11/23/05) | Section: Hastert’s Comments

It’s good to be back talking with everyone. I’m home in Yorkville, getting ready for Thanksgiving with Jean and the boys. But I wanted to take time and say a few things.

As you know, last week, we rejected a resolution to withdraw troops from Iraq immediately. It was the right thing to do. I have said all along that I think we need to win in Iraq. We are winning. Progress is being made. The Iraqis now have a constitution and they are about to elect a government with participation by voters from all factions. We’ve got to stay on the offensive against these terrorists. None of us wants to see this fight occur here on U.S. soil.

But that said, I need everyone to understand that I have known Congressman (John) Murtha a long time. He’s a good man. I have the utmost respect for him. In fact, I’m pretty sure he knows that. I disagreed with the pull out plan he announced last week.

On another note, a lot of you are getting ready to head out over the next few days for the beginning of the Christmas shopping time. I just want to remind everyone that this is a good time to celebrate the holidays. Our economy is better than ever. We came through back-to-back hurricanes, and the economy is ticking away. Unemployment is down to 5 percent. We’ve had 10 straight quarters where the economy grew more than 3 percent. House Republicans have worked hard to pass policies to keep the economy strong. And our citizens need to know that. We want them to feel free to get out there and spend and keep the economy moving. I know one Illinoisan who’ll probably be out there in all those early morning sales – Jean Hastert! I’ll be the guy behind her carrying the bags, and probably buying a few things myself.

Last but not least, I just want to remind everyone to enjoy the Thanksgiving holiday and remember how blessed we all are. Americans have a lot to be thankful for. Our troops are overseas, protecting us from terrorists and defending freedom and liberty. We’re thankful for them. You know, we live in the greatest country in the world. And we need to remember that. I thought about that as the Iraq debate went on last week. It got testy. I think you all saw that. But we’re still lucky. We live in a country where we can disagree. We can protest. We can cast a vote, and we can have an opinion. We’re luckier than a lot of other nations. And no matter what side of the aisle you’re on, no matter which party you’re in, I think we can all agree that America is a great country. And for that, we can all be thankful.

Ok, that’s it for me. It’s back to getting ready for Thanksgiving. May you all have a blessed and safe holiday. This is Denny.

This guy is pure class, he defends Murtha, even though he disagrees with him, points out the possitive gains in the economy, and shows a little wit by being his wifes assistant during the holiday shopping season.

I've been told that wit is a sign of inteligence, and I agree.

It is great to have access to our Speaker of the House's own words directly, he is right, we do live in a great country.

And from the Fu2rman, I wish you all a very Happy Thanksgiving!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home