Saturday, January 07, 2006

Sad News


Lou Rawls Dies at 72.

I won't sit here and say what a big fan of Lou Rawls I was, but I have to get a little sentimental.

Some of my early memories are of driving in the car with my dad, listening to my Dad's music.

As I got a little older, I never thought his music was very cool, because it was Dad music.

But his collection included Lou Rawls, Blood Sweat and Tears, and Neil Diamond among others.

As I grew up, I would hear some of the songs from my childhood, and feel that good feeling I had with my Dad.

I recall being maybe 5 at the most, and my Dad slapping his leg to the beat of these great artists, while he was driving. And being young and uncoordinated, not being able to keep the beat myself.

He would do his best to explain how to keep the beat, and help me get it, always with a lot of encouragement.

Maybe it is just a coincidence, but I even ended up playing in a band.

It is unfortunate that one of those performers had to die to bring up these great childhood memories, but because that is how it happened...

Thank You Lou...

Your life really meant something to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home