Saturday, February 06, 2010

Obama Slams Las Vegas...again!


This is not about Vegas, it's about leadership.  Or lack there of...

First off, as our listeners and readers know very well, I am not a fan of President Obama.  For the record, I was not, and am not a McCain fan.  I was a Mitt Romney guy, what better person could we have had running the country in these economic times?  

Things are tough out there, right?  You've heard President Obama, he can't stop telling us how bad things are.  As a matter of fact, he even went so far as to say, "When times are tough, you tighten your belts," Obama said at a town hall meeting in New Hampshire.  "You don’t go buying a boat when you can barely pay your mortgage. You don’t blow a bunch of cash in Vegas when you’re trying to save for college."

Now, basically that's good advice, and he was referring to government spending, which must have been an attempt at a joke.  But, he should have learned from the last time he used Vegas as the poster child for frivolous spending habits.  Oscar Goodman, mayor of Las Vegas agrees, and he said so!  He went as far as saying The President is a slow learner.  Now that's funny! 

Goodman also said, "I want to assure you when he comes I will do everything I can to give him the boot back to Washington and to visit his failures back there.”  Now that is a very bold statement.  Maybe even a bit too bold for my taste.  Bottom line is, like him or not, Obama is still the President of our United States and should be respected as such.

We have been very critical of President Obama on the show, but if he wanted to visit yours truly, he is more than welcome!  I have never met a president, and likely, will not have that unique opportunity in my lifetime.  I have seen two of them speak, but never got close enough to even shake their hand.  That would be a great honor for me, even if it is a president I fundamentally disagree with.  But I digress...

What President Obama fails to realize is that he has to lead us out of this sluggish economy, not make it worse.

What do I mean by make it worse?  Seriously, come on Fu2rman, we all saw or heard or read his State of the Union Address, he inherited all this and it's 'the previous administration' that is to blame.  Let me take a small side track here...The Democrats have had majorities in the House and Senate for the last three years, (two of which included Senator Obama, the third and last year he has been the President).  These past policy and budget issues he speaks of, were voted on and passed in part by then Senator Obama himself.  I think that is important to note.  

That point is important because it brings me to leadership and how he's making it worse.  

What President Obama is doing is blaming, not leading.  He has inherited a mess, I don't think anyone would argue that, but it does not help to remind everyone how horrible the economy is every time he opens his mouth.  The campaign is over President Obama, you won.  Now lead us!  You see, blaming and complaining about the guy before you works on the campaign trail, or in community organizing, but not in leadership.

As a business owner, I saw some good ideas in the Job Summit he held at the end of last year.  The only problem was, he didn't like the few good ideas that came out of it.  Oh well, at best it was little more than a photo-op and a strategy to create the illusion of a President trying to do something. 

So am I a leader or a complainer?

I am a leader, I'm about solutions, not complaining.  So here are some ideas for President Obama's next speech, which based on how often he speaks, should be in about ten minutes.

First and foremost, STOP SAYING THE ECONOMY IS SOOO BAD, immediately!!!  We all know it's not great, we all know some people are hurting and unemployment is a serious problem, there is no doubt about that.  But what good is it telling people to tighten their belts and stop buying boats and stop dropping cash in Vegas?  None!, and coming from The President, it makes things worse.  The economy works, to some degree, on consumer confidence.  Those types of comments coming from the very top, seriously shake our confidence.  And here's a real-life example... 

I have a close friend that works in a field that is doing well and will do well in any economy.  He is in a position that he will not lose as he is very good at his job, and is very important to the operation of said business.  He told me he may not be able to enjoy one of his favorite hobbies as much anymore 'because of the economy'.  To this I asked if he was having money issues.  He said, 'No.'  Did he have to take a pay cut?  He again said, 'No, I still got my raise.'  I asked, 'Then what in your life has changed?'  His reply...'Nothing.'   

See what I mean about consumer confidence?  He is actually keeping money out of the economy, even to do something he is passionate about.

What President Obama, or any leader could be out there saying is something to this affect...

I know some people are hurting, but we are doing everything we can to create an economic environment that is conducive to getting folks back to work.  (Like my use of 'folks'? Very politician of me!)  Now, for those of you that are not having a tough time right now, this is one of those 'don't ask what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country' moments.  (Call up the words of one of his parties greatest leaders)  Go out for dinner, support your local restaurant and the servers and cooks that work in them.  Go get your cars tuned up or oil changed.  Support your local mechanic.  If you are doing well, go on vacation.  There are many great destinations that are driving distance.  Stay in a hotel, support these tourist spots.  If you are doing very well, fly to your vacation spot.  Support our airlines.  What may seem like a small gesture on your part, could help these businesses avoid layoffs.  And etc. etc.... 

You know, or something like that.  Wouldn't that be more inspirational than what we've been hearing?

I think so.  

As I've said to those that know me.  I know there is a recession, but I refuse to participate!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home