Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Bigger, Harder, Longer


You want to be bigger, harder, longer? Arginine may just be the answer you're looking for.

I'm 47. And though I'm in good shape, I must admit that, more and more over the last four or five years, I feel tired after working out, I feel cloudy in the brain, I lay around and rest and sleep when I would have been bouncing off walls, and sometimes I don't even want to bother finding out if the wife is into it.

There I said it.

But, recently, I started taking the Amino Acid supplement L-Arginine. I take it in concert with another Amino Acid called Lysine. I take it about one hour before working out. And the effect I have seen is dramatic.

I only started taking Arginine about 2 weeks ago, but already I have improved my weight-lifting by 20% and my aerobic workout by 10%.

And, I feel more energy throughout the day.

And, well, I'll leave the rest of the equation to you to figure out.

Here's an article that explains how L-Arginine works:

Arginine is an amino acid that is known as a growth hormone releaser. The decrease of growth hormone in the human body with aging is a major reason why muscle mass tends to decrease with age and body fat tends to increase with age. Decreases in growth hormone also are partially responsible for the slower rate of skin growth with aging, which results in thinner and less flexible skin. Injections of growth hormone can reverse these problems. Even though the cost of growth hormone injections have come down in price considerably since the injections first became available, they are still very costly. Growth hormone injections introduce growth hormone in a manner that is very different from the way it is produced by the pituitary gland. Growth hormone cannot be taken orally, because it is broken down in the digestive tract.

An alternative method of increasing one's level of growth hormone is to take a growth hormone releaser such as arginine.

Arginine is also a powerful immune stimulant and wound-healing agent. At one time, this was thought to be exclusively due to its growth hormone releasing properties; but arginine is a powerful immune stimulant and wound healing agent even in the absence of significant growth hormone release. It is now known that arginine has other important benefits as a precursor of nitric oxide.

Nitric oxide is usually thought of as a toxic component of smog, but recent scientific discoveries have shown it to be a biological compound of immense importance. Nitric oxide is the epithelial-derived relaxing factor, the chemical secreted by the lining of human blood vessels that causes the blood vessels to dilate, and thus determines what parts of the body receive extra blood flow, and what parts will receive less in response to other biological signals.

Adequate nitric oxide also helps to insure that this allocation of blood flow is accomplished without undue increases in blood pressure. Scientists have searched for years for the chemical that causes this blood vessel dilation. They were not expecting that the chemical would be a gas, although nitric oxide dissolves easily in water. The search for this chemical was made even more difficult by the fact that the nitric oxide is destroyed by hemoglobin within about three seconds of the time it is released in the blood vessel lining.

Nitric oxide now also appears to be the neurotransmitter responsible for converting short-term memories to long-term memories in the brain. This is another ability that often declines with aging.

Go read the whole thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home