Sunday, December 25, 2005

Merry Christmas, Whichever One You Celebrate

Well it is officially Christmas Day, so let me be the first to say Merry Christmas!

Notice, I did not say Happy Holiday!

I gotta say, it was nice today to be out picking up last minute items for our annual Christmas Eve Dinner, and hearing everyone wishing each other a Merry Christmas.

I don't want to take anything away from those that celebrate other holidays this time of year, but seriously!

If you said Merry Christmas to everyone you ran across today, you would be right 96 out of 100 times.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not one for excluding anyone, but when such an overwhelming majority celebrate Christmas, whichever one, it is appropriate.

Christmas is an interesting holiday.

You have two holidays to celebrate.

The Christian Holiday that celebrates the birth of Jesus, and the not so Christian Holiday with Santa, Rudolph, and Frosty the Snowman.

That is why it was always confusing to me as to why retailers would take Christmas out of their holiday greetings.

96% of us are there to hand them money for their wares, and give them as Christmas presents.

I have a step-brother that is very Christian, and while I thought it was strange, (because I was raised differently), he totally dismissed Santa from Christmas.

I have to admire his conviction.

He taught his kids right from day one that there was no Santa.

He is also a realist, and didn't deprive his kids of presents, he just explained that they were from Jesus.

And because of his faith, that was absolutely true.

His success in this world was based on his faith, and therefore, the money that paid for those gifts was provided by his Saviour.

I always thought that was a pretty cool way to handle Christmas, from a true Christian standpoint.

Talk about integrity!

As most of you know, I celebrate the other Christmas, but I have a huge amount of respect for his families beliefs.

I have my beliefs, and he has his, but what a wonderful Christmas we spend together each and every year.

Because the bottom line is that this is a season about family, friends, and love for one another.

And I believe that is something we can all agree on.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jason Pappas said...

I didn’t know if anyone would bring this up but I said something similar to my wife yesterday. The way I expressed it was that there were no sleighs, pine trees or snowmen in Bethlehem. These are folk customs. One can enjoy Christmas in many ways. Even someone who is not religious, like I am, enjoys the spirit of the season (especially the music.) But that also includes seeing my religious friends and family recall the tale of Jesus. Why not? It’s a good story. On the other hand, I’m glad Christians incorporate or invent many of these additional charming customs. The general spirit of good will towards others is a delight and should be embraced by all people who share that spirit. Merry Christmas!

8:51 AM  
Blogger Pastorius said...

You may not be a believer, but we are both, definately a couple of Infidel mofos.

But seriously, you believe in love, and my Bible says whoever loves is born of God and knows God. A lot of times we just use different words to express the same intangible thing.

2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen brother!

7:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home